A few months back I upgraded my phone from a treo 600 to a treo 700p.  The Treo 700P came with a voice recorder.  On my Treo 600 I had Mvoice which I paid about $20 for a year or two ago so that I could record conversations for the IRS.

Later I used it to transcribe my own recordings to text utilizing dragon naturally speaking, which is a much safer endeavor than working as a whistle blower for the feds against the chinese mafia.  🙂

Tonight, I found a converter when I found a blog that provided a great description of how to use it. 

The software is a converter from Qualcomm. 

Their download page.

The thing about this program is that you have to drag the QCP file and drop it on top of the .exe file that Qualcomm provides.

You can not just double click on the Qualcomm program and run it.

So I did all this, even filmed a quick video of it and loaded it up to revver to show everyone the result. 

Once I got the upload processing, I then cranked up Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 to convert the wav into text.

Alas, I ran into a new barrier.  The resulting wav file created by the Qualcomm program is recorded at the wrong bit rate!

dns-samplingrate

Doh!  🙂

So I’m half stymied now.  I’m going to try and see if there is a way to change the bit rate without damaging the file next.  I have a couple ideas on how to do that:

    • Maybe I can play the file, run audio out through a mixer, and back into the computer to record it into the right file format.  (lot of work that one!)
    • Maybe I can find some other converter that will convert the wav file to the right wav file format (I figured out how to do this and it still didn’t work.) – until I tried yet a third time!

We shall see . . . .

 

OK, its now about 30 minutes later and I may have made some more progress.

I opened up sound recorder (comes with Windows)  Go to start, accessories, entertainment, sound recorder.

I then opened up my original file.  While open, I clicked on file and chose properties and then walked through the convert now functionality.

convert-to-16bit

I clicked the convert now button and came up with the options to pick a new format.

16bit-conversion2

Since I was going trial by error, I chose the save as button first and typed in the phrase new-version.  In retrospect, I think I just established a new optional default format, but this step is probably not necessary.

Next, I chose the actual new sampling rate (I think sampling rate is the correct terminology here.)

16bit-conversion 

I then hit OK a couple times until I was looking at the main sound recorder screen again.  Then I chose file, Save As, and changed the file name to something new and save the new file next to the old one in my file folder.

sound-recorder-new-file

So in theory, I should now have a file recorded at the 16 bit mono rate, which is required for the conversion in Dragon Naturally Speaking.  So I’m going to pause writing again, to see if it will convert!

No Luck again!

So I tried Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 again using the transcription tool and it once again gave me the same pop up window.  So it must not be the 16 bit wav recording format, but instead it must be an invalid sampling rate and I have no clue how to fix that.

Finally, Success!

OK, so maybe I’m stubborn, or originally I was obtuse, but I finally figured out how to make this work!

This time I went back into Sound Recorder one more time, went back to properties just like above.

This time I flipped through the available formats in the drop down selection and chose the Mpeg3 format and scrolled almost to the bottom of the list until I could find a format that had 16 bit mono.

16bit-conversion-mpeg

I picked that, hit OK a couple times until I was back to the original screen again and then I selected file save as, changed the name yet again.  Ran it through Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 transcription tools (menu, Sound, transcription) pick your file and hit transcribe button.

And it converted!

Here’s a copy of the text

Is used twice in a program comes preinstalled on my Verizon wireless Treo is 780.  Has to use a program called him a voice in later years the way files and generates to create notes which I can transcribe through Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.  In this test is going to exported file via e-mail to my home e-mail account where I will retreat, and then I will attempt to run through Dragon NaturallySpeaking to determine if it can transcribe his message.  In the past I always took the key card on my phone after recording voice not there and inserted it into my computer.

This time I’m going to wirelessly send the file to my e-mail hoping to save myself some time and effort.  The open quest

ion I ha
ve is how will this particular voice recording service will work to capture my voice correctly so that Dragon NaturallySpeaking can transcribe it.  I do not know if the voice quality is as good on this device as it was using convoys on an older Treo phone.

 

Now that text needs some serious editing obviously.  In a future article I will give some more tutorials about how to improve the accuracy using this type of mobile recorder (aka the non-Nuance approved voice recorders.)

Also, I would highly recommend MVoice as it is a great program and worth the $25.  I did want to prove the concept that it can be done without spending additional money.  Obviously, doing it without spending extra money takes some extra steps on the treadmill (2 programs, 1 downloaded).

Mvoice makes it a lot easier right from go, and if you ever need to gather evidence against the Chines mafia or a big 4 auditing firm that is complicit in laundering money, that $25 might just save your life ~ literally.  🙂

Comments

Responses...